The regular monthly test of the Maunakea VOAD Repeater will occur this Saturday, 07 November 2020, 1200-1300 HST.
Views express in this Amateur/Ham Radio news summary are those of the reporters and correspondents.
Content supplied by Kevin Bogan (AH6QO).
Accessed on 07 November 2020, 0304 UTC, Post 1711.
Source (email message from Kevin Bogan-AH6QO):
Please click link or scroll down to read your selections.
To: HiCoARES, Big Island, KHRC, MKSS, OMKM, DECs, BIARC, BigIslandRADIO, 40meter.net, bigislandarrlnews, others
October test: We got a lot done in a short period of time thanks to the cooperation of the emcomm operators. Let’s keep it going!
We continue to need to ensure the MK repeater is operational.
Hurricane season continues to November 30, but hurricanes can occur anytime.
Winter storms will be possible soon enough. Please stay alert for unstable air masses in your area.
The repeater will be turned back on at noon for the one hour test, Saturday, November 7, 2020, then turned off again. It needs to be tested on a monthly basis (1st Saturday) to ensure that it is operational.
Please check in on the Hawaii State VOAD repeater, 146.72– MHz (PL 100.0 Hz) Maunakea, Saturday, November 7, 2020 1200-1300 HST.
When checking in please give your callsign spelled phonetically. After the check ins are taken, we will take power, antenna length antenna model number and antenna elevation above MSL. If time permits, we will practice message handling. We are planning to have a cross-tem CERT short drill.
This is an emcomm repeater, so please use best practices as given by the NCS when operating on the repeater.
- Follow the directions of the NCS.
- No small talk.
- Stick to the EEI (Essential Elements of Information).
- Reports should be structured with the most important part first and not necessarily in chronological order. (“If it were a joke, the punchline comes first.” )
- End your transmission with your call sign (as much as possible.) This is not an FCC requirement, but a net request. Reason: You never know when the NCS is going to jump to another station and leave you hanging with a 10-minute timer counting down.
- If you are asked to report in a particular format, please comply to help speed up the process.
This repeater serves the member agencies (e.g., Big Island VOAD, American Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Hawaii Pacific Baptist Convention, Team Rubicon, ARES and more) and their partners (e.g., HI-EMA, HCCDA, MEMA, etc.)
Please give this notice the widest dissemination.
Chair, Hawaii VOAD Comms Committee
Skywarn HAM Radio Coordinator for Hawaii
ARES emcomm operator and trainer
Other: (720) 235-8172
Aloha es 73 de Russell Roberts (KH6JRM)
Public Information Officer
Hawaii County, ARRL Pacific Section