Accessed on 06 September 2018, 0456 UTC, Post #629.
Editor: Brian Moran (N9ADG).
Please click link to read the full report.
Here are some of the topics covered in the current edition of “The ARRL Contest Update”:
- New HF Operators: Sprints! And more!
- Contest Summary
- News: ARRL Contest Changes for 2018-2019, YOTA Young Contester Program, and more
- Word to the Wise: ‘AMA’
- Sights and Sounds: Loveless CQing, Five Year Old operates the All Asia Contest
- Operating Tip: Operate On the Band That May Close the Soonest
- Technical Topics and Information:Free Book on Sun-Earth Geomagnetic Interaction, New De-icing Strategy, and more
- Conversation: Millenials Breaking Things, Again!
- Log Due Dates
Hawaii Island Amateur/Ham Radio notes:
- The Fifth Annual Hawaiian Islands Grid Madness VHF/UHF Simplex Event is coming on Sunday, 16 September 2018, from 1300 to 1700 HST. The Aulani Amateur Repeater Club sponsors the fun activity “to test your equipment, coverage and operating skills using simplex FM on 2 meters and 70 cm. Contact as many stations as you can in as many Grid Squares as you can, using SIMPLEX ONLY.” For more information, please visit https://gridmadness.blogspot.com.
- Hurricanes Norman and Olivia are approaching Hawaii Island. Norman is closest to us and is expected to bring higher than normal surf and rough ocean conditions. According to the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency, the storm should pass to the northeast of the island chain. The National Weather Service in Honolulu and the Central Pacific Hurricane Center are keeping an eye on Hurricane Olivia which should cross into the Central Pacific soon. Forecasters believe both storms will pass to the northeast of Hawaii Island. You can find updated hurricane information on my news blog (https://hawaiinewsdigest.net). I’ve also included a tab in the upper right hand sidebar of this blog which will connect you directly to the Central Pacific Hurricane Center. You can call the National Weather Service in Hilo for current hurricane information (935-8555).
- For the latest Amateur/Ham Radio news and information, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily and weekly. Thanks for joining us today.
- Aloha es 73 de Russell Roberts (KH6JRM), Public Information Coordinator, Hawaii County, ARRL Pacific Section.