Accessed on 22 August 2018, 1848 UTC, Post #664.
Editor: Brian Moran (N9ADG).
Please click link to download the full report.
Before I outline the main topics covered in this ARRL Contest Update, please prepare for the arrival of Category 5 Hurricane Lane, which is packing sustained winds of 155-160 mph. The strong storm will lash Hawaii Island with heavy rain, flooding, and possible wind damage as it heads for Maui, Molokai, Oahu, and Kauai. Please exercise caution if you get on the air, especially during this weekend’s Hawaii QSO Party. For updated hurricane information, please visit these sites:
Both sites are updated throughout the day. Also, you can call the National Weather Service in Hilo at 935-8555 for current hurricane forecasts.
Now here are the main topics discussed in today’s edition of “The ARRL Contest Update”:
- New HF Operators: Variety
- Contest Summary
- News: September ARRL VHF Contest is Coming, FT8Call, WWV Broadcasts in Jeopardy, and more
- Word to the Wise: Interlock
- Sights and Sounds: Smoke, Kickstarter for TAPR Conference Video, and more
- Results: NAQP, ARRL Records Update, Preliminary 2018 June ARRL VHF Results, OCDX Results, and more
- Operating Tip: Have a Checklist and Use It
- Technical Topics and Information: Bandpass Filter Survey, Stop Unwanted Serial Bit Flippery, and more
- Conversation: Back to School
- Log Due Dates
- For the latest Amateur/Ham Radio news and information, please check the blog sidebars and links. These news feeds are updated daily and weekly. Be sure to check for the latest updates on Hurricane Lane which should impact Hawaii Island this evening (Wednesday) or early Thursday morning. The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency is issuing updates throughout the day via local broadcast stations, SMS cellphone programs, and the social media.
- Thanks for joining us today. Stay safe during the passing of Hurricane Lane.
- Aloha es 73 de Russell Roberts (KH6JRM), Public Information Coordinator, Hawaii County, ARRL Pacific Section.